STEMx Virtual Conference recordings and files available
The archive of recordings and files from the STEMx conference in mid-September, 2013, are now available.
To help teachers and students prepare for the growing global need for employees with STEM skills, the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE®) is hosting the 2013 Global STEMx* Education Conference, the world’s first massively open online conference for STEMx educators, in collaboration with partner HP and more than 20 other organizations. Participants will meet educators from around the world and learn how to enhance student engagement and interest in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and more. This event will take place entirely online, 24 hours a day for three days, Sept. 19-21, 2013. Registration is free. More information can be found at http://www.stemxcon.com.
STEMxCon will be a highly inclusive and engaging event that will encourage students and educators around the world to share and learn about innovative approaches to STEMx learning and teaching.
Keynote presenters include:
- Tim Bell, Professor, Computer Science and Software Engineering, University of Canterbury
- Al Byers, Associate Executive Director, Services, National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Jeanne Century, Director of Research and Evaluation & Science Education, Outlier Research and Evaluation, CEMSE, University of Chicago
- Cristin Frodella, Head of Global Education Marketing, Google, Inc.
- Paloma Garcia-Lopez, Executive Director, Maker Education Initiative
- Larry Johnson, CEO, New Media Consortium
- Iris Lapinski, CEO, Apps for Good
- Ramsey Musallam, Teacher, Sacred Heart Cathedral Prep
- Ramji Raghavan, Chairman, Agastya International Foundation
- Yolanda Ramos, Director of Professional Development Services, ISTE
- Avis Yates Rivers, Director, National Center for Women & Information Technology
- Jim Vanides, Global Education Program Manager, Sustainability & Social Innovation, Hewlett Packard Company
What: Global STEMx Education Conference
When: Thursday, Sept. 19 – Saturday, Sept. 21, 2013 **Where: Online at http://www.stemxcon.com
Who: STEMx educators across the globe Register: http://www.stemxcon.com
About ISTE: The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE®) is the premier membership association for educators and education leaders committed to empowering connected learners in a connected world. Home to ISTE’s annual conference and expo and the widely adopted ISTE standards for learning, teaching and leading in the digital age, the association represents more than 100,000 professionals worldwide. For more information, visit http://www.iste.org. FSTE is an affiliate of ISTE.
*About the x in STEMx: For years we have referred to STEM education -- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math -- but in today's flat world the definition must be much broader. It must include disciplines like computer science, nanoscience and biotech as well as critical skills such as collaboration, creativity, communication, problem solving, inquiry, computational thinking and global fluency. Thus, to expand the definition to encompass the wide range of skills and knowledge requisite for success in the high-tech world of work and global citizenship, the HP Catalyst Initiative created the STEMx acronym.